Sithong Thongmanivong is lecturer in remote sensing, GIS and integrated land use planning at the Faculty of Forestry of the National University of Laos since 1993. He holds a PhD in Biology at the University of Vienna, a MSc in remote sensing and GIS from the Asian Institute of Technology and a BSc in forestry at Vientiane Forestry College. He is specialized in land use and land cover change assessment, community-based natural resource management and the interactions between socio-economic systems and the environment. Since 2099, Sithong Thongmanivong is Lao national coordinator for REDD program and coordinates CBNRM – IDRC Canada project in Laos. He is also national consultant in land use, forest management and governance projects supported by Danish and Canadian cooperation in Laos.
- Thongmanivong, S, F. Yayoi F, Phanvilay K, and T. Vongvisouk. 2009. Agrarian Land Use Transformation in Northern Laos: from Swidden to Rubber. Southeast Asian Studies 47 (3): 330-348
- Thongmanivong S, and Fujita Y. 2006. Recent Land Use and Livelihood Transitions in Northern Laos. Mountain Research and Development 26(3): 237–244.
- Thongmanivong S, and Vongvisouk T. 2006. Impacts of Cash Crops on Rural Livelihoods: A Case Study from Muang Sing, Luang Namtha Province, Northern Lao PDR. In Mahanty S, Fox J, Nurse M, Stephen P, and L. McLees, Editors. Hanging in the Banlance: Equity in Community-Based Natural Resource Management in Asia. Honolulu: East-West Center / Bangkok: Regional Community Forestry Training Center.
- Thongmanivong S, and Fujita Y, and Fox J. 2005. Resource use dynamics and land-cover change in Ang Nhai Village and Phou Phanang National Reserve Forest, Lao PDR. Environmental Management 36 (3): 382-393.
- Thongmanivong S, Badenoch N, Khouangvichit S. 2001. Land Allocation Policy in the Lao PDR, Implications for Promoting a Decentralized Approach to Upland Natural Resource Management. Vientiane: National University of Laos.