Call for Projects 2008
The Réseau will begin funding research activities in 2008 and invites project proposals to that end. Total available funding is in the order of SFr 1.5 to 2 million per year. The deadline for the submission of proposals is 15 April 2008. Applicants will by notified of the Réseau's decision by mid-June 2008. The Réseau welcomes proposals by political scientists, economists, legal scholars, historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and researchers from related disciplines who can make important contributions to the analysis of international problems and their resolution. Funds may be sought for projects lasting one to two years for amounts ranging from SFr 50,000 to SFr 150,000 per year. Collaboration with international organisations and a multidisciplinary approach are most welcome and will be considered as assets. All proposals will be evaluated by a Scientific Committee. Final decisions will be taken by the Governing Committee of the Réseau.
Criteria for the Selection of Projects
The Réseau will fund research projects and, to a minor extent, research-related educational and networking activities – e.g., a summer school for doctoral students or a workshop
involving academics and representatives of international organisations. In order to be acceptable, proposals submitted to the Réseau must satisfy criteria of academic excellence,
policy-relevance, financial viability, and feasibility. Projects must be directed by an institution of higher education based in Switzerland and funds must be managed by the accounting department of the concerned institution.
Each project team must include one or several representatives of at least one institution of higher education based in Switzerland. Representatives of academic institutions must normally be faculty members or researchers employed on multiple-year contracts at the post-doctoral level. The Réseau encourages, in particular, projects that associate two or more Swiss academic institutions as well as researchers based at international organisations. It also encourages co-financing of projects, either in the form of funds provided by another donor or as a contribution in-kind.
Applicants must demonstrate that they have the infrastructure and material means for carrying out the project. As a general rule, the Réseau does not fund infrastructure, equipment (e.g., computers), and administrative activities.
Each project must be placed under the academic responsibility of a "project coordinator". Administrative arrangements regarding the project team must be handled in accordance with the rules of the academic institution that manages the funds. Conferences and publications may accompany the research phase or may be part of the project's completion. Appropriate acknowledgement of the Réseau's support must be indicated on all documents relative to the project.
Procedure for Participating in the Call for Project Proposals 2008
The project coordinator must submit to the Réseau, in electronic form and also hard copy, a project proposal of no more than 15 pages in English or French, plus annexes. The submission, post-marked by 15 April 2008, must include the following documents:
- The Réseau cover sheet;
- An executive summary of the project (1 page maximum);
- An exposé of the topic or question to be treated, with a justification focusing on the originality and the academic and policy importance of the issues to be examined. This includes a brief review of the state of research;
- A description of the research strategy and methods to be employed;
- A plan indicating tasks, who will perform which task, and milestones (project outputs);
- Information on each of the team members, and how they contribute to the project;
- Information on partnerships with other academic institutions in Switzerland and other countries, international organisations, or NGOs;
- References (relevant publications of authors other than the team members; publications by team members directly relevant to the project);
- A budget estimate and detailed information concerning the utilisation of Réseau funding and additional funds or in-kind contributions provided by other sources.
For additional information please consult the website of the Geneva International Academic Network (www.ruig-gian.org) which will be updated as additional information becomes available.